Tuition for the 2018-2019 academic year is $16,278/quarter. The MS SLL program is seven (7) quarters in duration.
Given that Northwestern is a private university, there is not a different tuition rate for in-state versus out-of-state residents or international students.
The School of Communication sets tuition in the spring for the subsequent academic year. Tuition increases will be posted as soon as they are finalized.
- The MS SLL program does not charge additional fees for labs or clinical registrations.
- Books are not included in the tuition price.
- Students incur a small number of externship related fees based on externship site. All students must complete background check and fingerprinting (approximately $40). Some sites may require drug screening or flu vaccinations, which are available via NU Student Health (approximately $40).
Partial scholarships are awarded on an annual basis dependent upon factors such as academic performance, financial need, and availability of funds. Funding decisions reflect both (a) careful evaluation of each applicant’s credentials and (b) the restrictions of limited scholarship funds.
Other than completion of the FAFSA form, if you are interested in potential need based aid, no additional forms, applications, or statements of intent are required for consideration.
Scholarships are not currently available for international applicants.
Regarding other forms of departmental monies:
- We only offer the partial scholarships as described. We do not offer any other forms of departmental scholarships/aid/assistance.
- We cannot offer assistantships, such as Teaching Assistantships (TAs) or Research Assistantships (RAs), to MS students; they are offered to PhD students only.
- Work-study or other NU based student positions are generally not available; if they are available, they are typically not recommended secondary to the time commitment. Not only is the MS curriculum quite rigorous, employment in any position with required weekly hours would be a challenge as employment commitments cannot impede clinical and class scheduling.
Students interested in graduate student loans should contact Northwestern Student Financial Services for information.
Please note: The MS SLL program is administered under the School of Communication and is not affiliated with The Graduate School. Please do not contact TGS regarding financial aid.